Sunday, January 22, 2017

67 Fish





I have been fortunate to live in Florida and experience the unbelievable outdoor opportunities for the last 25 years, but there are still areas of the State I have yet to explore. There are sixty-seven counties in Florida, each with their own rich history and unique spots, and each with great fishing opportunities that, together, make Florida the fishing capitol of the world.



My plan is to visit each county in Florida and catch at least one fish. I can probably do this in a week, but what’s the fun in that? While traveling, we will take the time to explore our surroundings to include places to eat and stay the night, and the local scene. Primarily traveling on weekends, this could take the better part of 2017. Each trip I will be taking a mix of friends and family, sometimes staying in local hotels and sometimes camping. 



Fishing will of course be fresh and saltwater and will be on foot, kayaks or boat. Sometimes we may have locals join us to show us around, other times we will just figure it out. I hope to be able to catch each area’s “signature” fish, but because of obvious time constraints I may have to resort to using a cane pole for bluegill to get the fish for that area. Sometimes I may spend more time in a particular area because of the abundance of opportunities there.




The end result will be unique and interesting insights for each of Florida’s counties. Each of these stories will be compiled into an adventure travel book that will allow anyone to visit anywhere in Florida and know what the locals know. Outdoor recreation like camping and fishing will be featured as well as local, hometown eateries and events. During the year I will write a companion blog chronicling each travel event as it happens.

I hope you all will join me as I catch 67 fish!



No comments:

Post a Comment