Thursday, March 12, 2015

Fishing with Alison


Fishing buddy Jim VanPelt and I had plans to take a friend of ours, Alison, kayak fishing in the Everglades. She has a love of the outdoors and we have been trying to convince her to write about her experiences and share some of our adventures. A last minute change of plans had Jim canceling early that morning and the venue moving to nearby Estero Bay.

The last few times I fished Estero Bay there were few fish located. I had spotted a couple good reds, but nothing of note. I really wasn't expecting much as we launched from the beach at Hickory Pass and headed into the bay. The tide was about halfway out and moving slow. Alison was in a Hobie Revo and it was her first time in a kayak. She picked it up right away and with very little instruction was pedaling around like a pro.

Headed to the backwater

 We headed to a small patch of quiet backwater where I have frequently found redfish. A bald eagle signaled our arrival. As we approached an area showing signs of activity, I tossed out a TA Crossover Stalker. It was slammed almost immediately by a good fish that missed. As I continued the retrieve, the fish followed it in. I stopped the retrieve and whispered to Alison to cast her TA Crossover Popper and retrieve it close to my lure. The switch up worked and the big, overslot redfish claimed her popper and took off. 

Estero Bay Eagle


Alison set the hook quickly, but the size of the fish taxing her light tackle initially surprised her. The redfish rocketed past her and began towing her in reverse. Then it ran under her kayak in wide circles that lassoed the rudder. It was all very comical and I am sure she didn't appreciate my laughter and lack of help. Eventually, she gained control and landed what was her first redfish! It was a day of firsts for Alison, first time on a kayak, first cast of the day and first redfish ever. And what a redfish it was! It was overslot and the biggest of the day.

Unhooking
Nice 1st redfish!


After some photos, the redfish was released to to fight another day. We worked the school a while longer and brought a few more small reds to the kayak before they eventually caught on. We moved back out into the bay for a little wade fishing. Several pelicans were busy crashing into the water nearby.


Feeding pelicans

Wading out

 After a couple hours of jacks and catfish, we called it a morning. Alison was talking a mile a minute about catching reds and kayaking, and I knew she was hooked. She already loves the outdoors and I think she has found one more outlet to enjoy the water. I invited her to write gear reviews on No Secrets and look forward to what she comes up with. Check out her Facebook fishing page here

Cats coming out to play




No comments:

Post a Comment