Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Family Fishing Fun


Bill trying a culvert on the way down
 
Being from a military family meant I traveled and lived in many areas before settling in Florida. Most of my family ended up here as well, with one notable exception. My brother Bill lives in Virginia, and it’s not very often we get together and share outdoor adventures like we once did. Bill and his wife Pam visited over Christmas and it was our opportunity to cut loose for a day trip to the Everglades.

Ditch fishing
 
Joining us was my son Eric. Normally, various law enforcement agencies would have prohibited three Bramblet males from fraternizing in public due to safety reasons, but we went anyway. Our mission was to check out some lakes Eric recently found while studying Google Maps that looked promising. Armed with light tackle and some topwater lures, we headed out in the early morning hours.

Our 1st view of the lake
 
After a short drive and even shorter hike, we were standing on the banks of a beautiful Everglades lake. The water was still and there were signs of aquatic predatory behavior along the edges. We enjoyed results right away by catching small largemouth bass. It was truly a beautiful lake with deep rocky edges and lots of shorebird activity.

Eric hooking up with the 1st of many
 
As we hiked around the lake we talked and caught up on news and events spanning the last couple years. With our busy schedules, it’s very difficult to stay in touch, but this day was just Bill, Eric and me in the wild. It reminded me of past times when Bill and I would spend weekend mornings standing on the banks of various lakes and ponds around Hampton and Newport News, Virginia searching for those once in a lifetime fish and ending up with great memories.

As if on cue, Eric sets the hook on a beefy fish. Drag is peeling as Bill and I shout out directions like “Take it easy, keep him out of the weeds”. Eric laughs and says “I got this, you two relax”. Eric is a very good angler. While he was growing up, I never missed a chance to take him with me on fishing adventures. He has grown into a man with a deep appreciation of the outdoors. We don’t get to spend as much time together as I would like, but when we do, it’s usually fishing.

Eric's bass
 
Bill and I watched as Eric landed a decent bass. It was probably 5-6 pounds, but by the time we loaded up to head back, it was easily an 8 pounder. When we reached home it was 9. Too bad I took pictures because today I would be writing that it was a big 10 pounder!

Bill working a Hula Popper
 
We finished up the day with a drive home telling fishing stories and planning the next outing. I don’t know when the next time we will have the time to get together again, but I know that when that day comes, I will jump at the chance. Always go fishing with family when you can and teach your children about the outdoor early so they appreciate the time you spend with them later. Never, ever miss the chance!

A herd of bird

Bill landing a bass

Gar

A little visitor

No comments:

Post a Comment